Subject: Re: bug#39287: [Graphical installation] Can't select location independently of language

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:39:57 +0100

Damien,

Damien Cassou 写道：
> I'm installing Guix using the graphical installation 
> method. After
> choosing English as language I would like to choose France as
> location. This is not possible however as it seems only 
> English-speaking
> locations are provided (see attached screenshot).

Both terms used, ‘locale location’ and ‘territory for this 
language’, refer to the second part of your locale's name such as 
fr_CA.  There is no en_FR.  It would not make sense to offer that 
choice.

AFAICS the word ‘territory’ is taken directly from section 6.7 of 
the relevant standard[0] and should not be replaced with something 
‘friendlier’ but inaccurate.

Perhaps you could suggest another sentence to explain out what it 
means (and what it doesn't).  What would have avoided this 
misunderstanding?  Which other GNU/Linux distributions have you 
installed without issue?

And: what did you actually want to set?  The only reason your OS 
installer ever needs to know your physical location is IMO to set 
the time zone, which is a separate step.

Thanks!

T G-R

[0]: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg20/docs/n610.pdf (gratis 
draft)