Subject: bug#39281: gdm doesn't start

From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 10:37:37 +0100

Am Montag, den 27.01.2020, 06:24 +0100 schrieb Leo Prikler:
> Perhaps some GNOME people know how to disable this in other ways, but
> it's the first time I've even seen the dialog, so there's not much
> else I can say.
Welp, I found the culprit.  It appears to be a bug in gdm-service-type
rather than the gnome meta-package.  Specifically, the default GDM
setting appears to be to launch the initial-setup inside GDM "on first
boot", whatever GDM interprets that to be.  This can be disabled by
setting "daemon/InitialSetupEnable=false".
Adding this setting to GDM does not affect the initial user setup,
which is probably what raghavgururajan wanted to achieve with the
inclusion of this package into gnome.  It only skips the initial system
setup -- a step that Guix should already take care of on its own.

I've attached a patch, that should take care of this bug.  So far, I've
only tested it in a VM (with the package added back into gnome), so it
would be nice if one of you could test this with a real reboot before
commiting.

Regards,
Leo
From 9c467dfeb2ab942cf70c0f7f75886e052c864907 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 23:56:57 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] services: Disable initial setup in GDM.

* gnu/services/xorg.scm (gdm-configuration-file):
Disable gnome-initial-setup.  Starting it from GDM is probably not the right
idea, given that a configuration record for gdm already exists, and it also
causes bugs like #39281.
---
 gnu/services/xorg.scm | 5 ++++-
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/gnu/services/xorg.scm b/gnu/services/xorg.scm
index 9c84f7413f..2b2fd7539d 100644
--- a/gnu/services/xorg.scm
+++ b/gnu/services/xorg.scm
@@ -862,7 +862,10 @@ the GNOME desktop environment.")
                    "#TimedLoginEnable=false\n"
                    "#TimedLogin=\n"
                    "#TimedLoginDelay=0\n"
-                   "#InitialSetupEnable=true\n"
+                   ;; Disable initial system setup inside GDM.
+                   ;; Whatever settings are set there should already be
+                   ;; taken care of through `guix system'.
+                   "InitialSetupEnable=false\n"
                    ;; Enable me once X is working.
                    "WaylandEnable=false\n"
                    "\n"
-- 
2.25.0