Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Xapian for Guix package search

From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 13:49:31 +0100

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Pierre,
>
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 09:13, Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Beside this issue, how do you test it?  I guess we first need to install
>> a bunch of package with `pre-inst-env guix ...` then to a `pre-inst-env search`?
>
> It is not searching in the installed packages but in all the packages.
> So, to test it, you need to "./pre-inst-env guix pull -p" or something
> like that to populate the Xapian index database. Then "./pre-inst-env
> guix search" will lookup into.
> I mean, it is how I understand it should work. I have not yet looked
> into the code.

What I meant with "install a bunch of packages" is "guix pull -p", is
you said.  Xapian cache
is populated as a hook of guix pull if I got it correctly.

-- 
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/