Subject: Re: Faster guix search using an sqlite cache

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2025 12:13:11 +0200

Hi Arun,

Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This issue has gone quite stale, and it's not clear if we want to have a
> faster guix search based on xapian or on a sqlite cache.
>
> I still think a xapian search is a good idea, but perhaps we don't want
> Guix to depend on xapian. So, perhaps, the right thing to do is to have
> a "guix xsearch" extension that implements this and is separate from
> Guix. guile-xapian is quite mature now, and this should be a relatively
> easy project. Perhaps it could be something for a GSoC student to work
> on. I am happy to help mentor such a project if others see value in
> that.

Yes, it would make sense to start this work as an extension, and to make
it in such a way that it could be use by people writing web package
browsers—would be great if you could mentor such a project!

> May I close this issue now? We can open new issues, if there is
> something specific to discuss.

Yup!

Ludo’.