Subject: Re: [bug#39258] Faster guix search using an sqlite cache

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 19:21:55 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 17:29, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I would rather keep the current package cache as-is instead of inserting
> sqlite in here.  I don’t expect it to bring much compared
> performance-wise to the current simple cache (especially if we look at
> load time), and it does increase complexity quite a bit.

Complexity is about taste. ;-)
About performance, the idea was to first implement something with
sqlite and then see if it makes the difference. I mean I have
understood that.

> However, using sqlite for keyword search as you initially proposed on
> guix-devel does sound like a great idea to me.

If I understand correctly, you are proposing 2 caches, right?
Or are you proposing an inverted index (VHash/VList table) based on
trigrams to speed up the lookup?

Cheers,
simon