Subject: [bug#39258] [PATCH v3 1/3] guix: Generate package metadata cache.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 16:35:47 +0200

Hi Simon,

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 22:48, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

[...]

>> Note that this is probably the place where we could eventually add the
>> computation of an inverted index like zimoun suggested in
>> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-01/msg00243.html>.
>
> We should first agree on the extra cost (time) we are ready to pay to
> build improvements.

It’s complicated.  As it stands, I’d rather not add overhead to ‘guix
pull’, especially since current ‘guix search’ on my SSD is fast enough
and can hardly be made any faster.

Realistically though, I understand that things are different on slower
machines and/or spinning disks.  That’s why I’m interested in seeing how
Arun’s proposed changes can affect such machines.

If, as a bonus, it allows us to have an inverted index and thus improve
the quality of search results, that’s great!

Thanks,
Ludo’.