Subject: Re: bug#39248: format-time-string ignores user's preferred locale

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 00:35:31 -0800

On 1/25/20 3:18 AM, Alan Third wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 11:35:20PM -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
>>   #ifdef HAVE_NS
>>     ns_pool = ns_alloc_autorelease_pool ();
>> -#ifdef NS_IMPL_GNUSTEP
>> -  /* GNUstep stupidly resets our locale settings after we made them.  */
>> -  fixup_locale ();
>> -#endif
> 
> Hi Paul, this LGTM, but I’m just curious if you’re sure we don’t need
> that code above any more?

Although I don't use GNUstep and haven't tested the code, as I recall GNUstep 
initializes itself on its first call (which is why the fixup_locale call was 
there, as ns_alloc_autorelease_pool was the first call to GNUstep), and if so 
then we don't need fixup_locale there anymore since we now call fixup_locale 
earlier, just after calling ns_init_locale which calls NSLocale currentlocale 
should cause GNUstep to initialize itself.

If I'm wrong feel free to put that code back in, but in the meantime I installed 
the patch as-is, as Paul R. reports that it works for him.