Subject: bug#39246: 26.3; more documentation needed for Pointer Shape

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 11:12:02 +0900

I checked pointer shapes on my Windows PC.
    SYMBOL    REAL-SHAPE
    text      Like a serif glyph of 'I'
    arrow     north-west arrow
    hand      up pointing hand
    vdrag     north-west arrow(same as 'arrow)
    hdrag     right-left arrow
    nhdrag    up-down arrow
    modeline  north-west arrow(same as 'arrow)
    hourglass rotating ring
'text shape is described in info (elisp)Pointer Shape.
'arrow, 'hand and 'hdrag shapes are predictable.
'vdrag, 'modeline, 'hourglass and 'nhdrag shapes are not predictable.
They need to be described more in info.

Especially, 'nhdrag shape is not referred to in info.
It is referred to in help C-h v void-text-area-pointer.

'hand shape is used for the default shape of mouse-sensitive areas.
It should be described in info (elisp)Special Properties and
(elisp)Image Descriptors.

'hand shape is different from the system pointer for link selection.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.18363
Recent messages:

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: JPN
  locale-coding-system: cp932

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(cus-edit cus-start cus-load misearch multi-isearch term/bobcat shadow
emacsbug mailalias smtpmail sendmail sort mail-extr message dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader help-fns radix-tree
pp descr-text cl-extra help-mode network-stream starttls url-http tls
gnutls mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw nsm rmc url-cache url-auth eww easymenu
puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mail-utils wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr url-queue url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars mailcap shr svg xml seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dom browse-url format-spec
cl-loaddefs cl-lib elec-pair time-date mule-util japan-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 180675 155535)
 (symbols 48 50822 5)
 (miscs 40 81 528)
 (strings 32 112964 2170)
 (string-bytes 1 2538137)
 (vectors 16 25529)
 (vector-slots 8 1691804 184606)
 (floats 8 87 488)
 (intervals 56 15020 3852)
 (buffers 992 20))