Subject: bug#39250: closed (Re: bug#39218: 28.0.50; find-dired stopped working)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 10:07:02 +0000

Your bug report

#39218: 28.0.50; find-name-dired: wrong type argument processp

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39218: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39218
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#39218: 28.0.50; find-dired stopped working
From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 11:06:07 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> `find-dired' stopped working for me.

Fixed in master with commit:
'Fix bug 39218'
(72011f23c3135690f65262f01ea92a53ff84b4e1)

and in emacs-27 with commit:
'Backport: Fix bug 39218'
(e1deafd39d9ef32cfa54c0be498f26857bf49c25)

Subject: 28.0.50; find-name-dired: wrong type argument processp
From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 08:40:00 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

this morning using find-name-dired results in the following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument processp nil)
  set-process-filter(nil find-dired-filter)
  find-dired("~/.emacs.d/" "-name \\*early\\*")
  find-name-dired("~/.emacs.d/" "*early*")
  funcall-interactively(find-name-dired "~/.emacs.d/" "*early*")
  call-interactively(find-name-dired record nil)
  command-execute(find-name-dired record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "find-name-dired" "find-name")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "find-name-dired" "find-name")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

Steps to reproduce the problem:

- emacs -Q
- C-x d .emacs.d RET
- M-x find-name-dired RET RET
- *early* RET

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-debian-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30,
cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2020-01-23 built on hathaway
Repository revision: 5715eb94e90b33ace59dd4c4ccb6e2122bc6db72
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12005000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Recent messages:
Making completion list...
find-dired: Wrong type argument: processp, nil
Debug on Error enabled globally
Making completion list...
Entering debugger...
Mark set [2 times]
Saved text until "mmand-execute(execute-extended-command)
"
Making completion list...
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only

Configured using:
 'configure --host=x86_64-debian-linux-gnu --with-modules
 --with-imagemagick --with-harfbuzz'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS
GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ
M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES
THREADS PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date subr-x seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns radix-tree cl-print
debug backtrace help-mode easymenu find-func cl-loaddefs cl-lib
cus-start cus-load find-dired dired dired-loaddefs tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 57743 7786)
 (symbols 48 7296 1)
 (strings 32 18578 1200)
 (string-bytes 1 576450)
 (vectors 16 10103)
 (vector-slots 8 133285 9370)
 (floats 8 25 41)
 (intervals 56 424 1)
 (buffers 1000 15))

Kind regards

-- 
Manuel Uberti