Subject: bug#39215: Hyperlinks to man pages in doc strings

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 18:56:50 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 17:32:35 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > 'find' has an Info manual: find.info.  Why not use a hyperlink to that
> > instead, something we already support?  Many utilities have similar
> > Info manuals, and the glibc has an Info manual as well.
> 
> I was looking for something which would work also with BSD find (or
> indeed any find not from GNU findutils).  My idea was to specify both.

Why should we cater so much to non-GNU systems?  The users of BSD can
install the Info manual as well, can they not?

> But that's just one example.  Most non-GNU software don't use texinfo.
> They often have man pages.  It would be useful to be able to add links
> to them.

Maybe we should teach info.el to display man pages.  The stand-alone
Info reader that is part of the Texinfo package does that since time
immemoriam.

> Try grepping for "info pages" in our sources.

Those places should be corrected.