Subject: Re: bug#39215: Hyperlinks to man pages in doc strings

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 17:32:35 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> 'find' has an Info manual: find.info.  Why not use a hyperlink to that
> instead, something we already support?  Many utilities have similar
> Info manuals, and the glibc has an Info manual as well.

I was looking for something which would work also with BSD find (or
indeed any find not from GNU findutils).  My idea was to specify both.

But that's just one example.  Most non-GNU software don't use texinfo.
They often have man pages.  It would be useful to be able to add links
to them.

> Nitpicking: let's not call Info manuals "pages".  They are not like
> "man pages", which are a collection of short concise usage
> descriptions.

Sure, I'll try to remember to say "info manuals" in our documentation
and sources.

(FWIW, I think getting people to stop using that vocabulary is going
to be an uphill battle, since it is so ubiquitous.  We even use this
nomenclature in some places in Emacs itself.  Try grepping for "info
pages" in our sources.)

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas