Subject: bug#39207: 28.0.50; crash when sending gnus message

From: [email-masked] (Gĳs Hillenius)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 10:06:41 +0100

Dear Robert et al,

I am not sure this will help you any, but here is the output from a gdb
session without debug symbols, where I eventually ended up C-g'ing
emacs-snapshot, because it was misbehaving on Gnus.

Gnus works fine in Debian's Emacs (26.3) (knocks wood), but in this
weekend's emacs-snapshot, it is doing the strangest things: selecting
the next message in a thread in mail (nnimap), it won't show the
message, but jump to a earlier message, (some ten lines or so higher)
*and* mark all mail messages below this message as 'moved' (without
moving them really). It also adds a new empty line at the end, which
when I try to select it, will cause the CPU to go to 100%.

In news (nntp) it is impossible to read the next message in a thread, it
will simply bounce back to the first message in the thread. Trying to
exit gnus will cause emacs to hang.

(gdb) run /usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x
Starting program: /usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x /usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread 0x7ffff120c700 (LWP 70053)]
[New Thread 0x7ffff0993700 (LWP 70054)]
[New Thread 0x7fffebfff700 (LWP 70055)]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70056]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70057]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70058]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70059]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70060]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70061]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70062]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70063]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70064]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70065]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70066]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70067]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70068]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70069]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70070]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70071]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70072]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70073]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70074]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70075]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70076]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70077]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70078]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70079]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70080]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70081]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70082]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70083]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70084]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70085]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70086]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70087]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70088]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70089]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70090]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70091]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70092]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70093]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70096]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70097]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70098]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70099]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70100]
[Detaching after vfork from child process 70127]
Fatal error 6: Aborted
Backtrace:
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x144c34)[0x555555698c34]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x43e7f)[0x555555597e7f]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x4436e)[0x55555559836e]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x429f0)[0x5555555969f0]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0xe1547)[0x555555635547]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0xe1d0f)[0x555555635d0f]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0xe2fbb)[0x555555636fbb]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0xe339b)[0x55555563739b]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0xe38cf)[0x5555556378cf]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0xe4840)[0x555555638840]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x7afaf)[0x5555555cefaf]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x7b24c)[0x5555555cf24c]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x82216)[0x5555555d6216]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x878e9)[0x5555555db8e9]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x9c5b8)[0x5555555f05b8]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x9f77b)[0x5555555f377b]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x1a2dfa)[0x5555556f6dfa]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x69838)[0x5555555bd838]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x8b37f)[0x5555555df37f]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x13543f)[0x55555568943f]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x137f5d)[0x55555568bf5d]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x13974c)[0x55555568d74c]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x1a2d76)[0x5555556f6d76]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x12a7a4)[0x55555567e7a4]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x1a2ccf)[0x5555556f6ccf]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x12a743)[0x55555567e743]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x12fb3f)[0x555555683b3f]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x12fe7b)[0x555555683e7b]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x4ac58)[0x55555559ec58]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xeb)[0x7ffff562dbbb]
/usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-x(+0x4b36a)[0x55555559f36a]

Thread 1 "emacs-snapshot-" received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
raise (sig=<optimized out>) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:50
50	../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c: No such file or directory.
(gdb) 
-- 
manual, n.:
	A unit of documentation.  There are always three or more on a given
	item.  One is on the shelf; someone has the others.  The information
	you need is in the others.
		-- Ray Simard