Subject: bug#39203: closed (Re: bug#39203: GNOME desktop is not displaying battery status)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 14:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#39203: GNOME desktop is not displaying battery status

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39203: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39203
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#39203: GNOME desktop is not displaying battery status
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 15:04:32 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Jesse,

Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]> skribis:

> It looks like the problem was introduced in
> df45af90413906b18710d8c51c44afd5b92d6db6 when upower was updated to
> version 99.11. I also expect it is related to gnome-tweaks, which is
> out of date.
>
> I'm going to see if updating gnome-tweaks fixes it. If so, I'll send an
> update patch. If not, we can determine if it's worth reverting upower.

Fixed in 5dc6d5ce9997e4caf66d154f91c3695e02e5386f!

Below are the notes I took as I was debugging this.

Thanks for your report,
Ludo’.

Actually upowerd fails to start and /var/log/messages here has things
like:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
dbus-daemon[429]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.UPower' requested by ':1.48' (uid=989 pid=822 comm="/gnu/store/lcn1flxr0z575jmv2m2p6hgzn3caf6x2-gnome-") (using servicehelper)
dbus-daemon[429]: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.UPower': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I attached ‘strace’ to dbus-daemon and then launched ‘upower’ to cause
it to attempt to start upowered.  At some point, the gdbus thread of
upowerd makes a ‘RequestName’ RPC, and the reply of dbus-daemon is:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
429   sendmsg(30, {msg_name=NULL, msg_namelen=0, msg_iov=[{iov_base="l\3\1\1\205\0\0\0\t\0\0\0m\0\0\0\6\1s\0\5\0\0\0:1.68\0\0\0\4\1s\0'\0\0\0org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied\0\5\1u\0\f\0\0\0\10\1g\0\1s\0\0\7\1s\0\24\0\0\0org.freedesktop.DBus\0\0\0\0", iov_len=128}, {iov_base="\200\0\0\0Connection \":1.68\" is not allowed to own the service \"org.freedesktop.UPower\" due to security policies in the configuration file\0", iov_len=133}], msg_iovlen=2, msg_controllen=0, msg_flags=0}, MSG_NOSIGNAL <unfinished ...>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Indeed, upower no longer shows up in /etc/dbus-1/system-local.conf.
That’s because the relevant files are now in share/dbus-1 instead of
etc/dbus-1 where our ‘dbus-configuration-directory’ procedure looks for
them.  I traced it back to:

  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/upower/commit/?id=18457c99b68786cd729b315723d680e6860d9cfa

Subject: GNOME desktop is not displaying battery status
From: Jesse Gibbons <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 08:34:41 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

At the top-right corner of the GNOME desktop I expect to see my
laptop's battery status. Furthermore, when my laptop's battery drains
to a low percentage I expect to see a notification warning me before it
dies. This is not the case.

I temporarily fixed this by rolling back my system generations, but
since I want to add some services I don't want to keep it like this. I
don't know what the issue is, but gnome-desktop-service-type and its
dependencies are my primary suspects.

I ran guix system list-generations and got the following results:

The battery status displays with a system built in commit
a066e289ab8ea971336515b53dd5340cbdf90904
This commit uses Linux-Libre 5.4.6 in case that's important.

It does not display with a system build in commit
6e02ef79f574855db28e23d891db690925119e7b
This commit uses Linux-Libre 5.4.12.

I hope this information is helpful in fixing this issue. I will work on
determining which commit breaks it.

-Jesse