Subject: bug#39195: guix pull switching between profiles/per-user and profiles/default

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 23:08:33 +0100

Hi,

Jimmy Thrasibule <[email-masked]> skribis:

> For example after unpacking the store, the first ``guix pull`` will migrate
> the profile to ``profiles/default``:

What do you mean by “unpacking the store”?

> The workaround is to link back the profile to ``per-user/root`` and delete
> ``/var/guix/profiles/default/current-guix*``. After this action, any other
> ``guix pull`` will run as expected.

I believe /var/guix/profiles/default is used because neither $USER nor
$LOGNAME were defined, right?

This was fixed here:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=c20ba18304ee63f01895f092bb51bc2a9ce3303b

but it’s possible that you were running a version that lacks this fix.

Also, there was a bug on Ubuntu where “sudo guix pull” would misbehave:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/36785

Perhaps that’s also what happened here?

Thanks,
Ludo’.