Subject: Re: bug#39195: guix pull switching between profiles/per-user and profiles/default

From: Jimmy Thrasibule <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 10:26:10 +0100

> What do you mean by “unpacking the store”?

I'm actually deploying Guix from the archive at
https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-binary-1.0.1.x86_64-linux.tar.xz in
a Docker container.

> I believe /var/guix/profiles/default is used because neither $USER nor
> $LOGNAME were defined, right?
>
> This was fixed here:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=c20ba18304ee63f01895f092bb51bc2a9ce3303b

This is the piece of code I was looking for to understand where this
"default" profile was coming from. The $USER environment variable was
indeed not set into the Docker image. Now that it is done, Guix does
not complain about the profile anymore.

> but it’s possible that you were running a version that lacks this fix.

That's is what I started to understand after playing around a bit. The
Guix version provided into the archive is old so it was failing back
to the "default" profile. Once upgraded, the "new" Guix was trying to
switch back to the "root" profile.

Now with the $USER environment variable set all is working great.