Subject: Re: bug#39187: Fwd: "Package refresh is already in progress, please wait..."

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2020 21:33:45 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I see two ways forward:
>
> 1. Remove the warning and accept that we might launch several
>    processes doing the same update one after the other.  I would like
>    to avoid that on master, but it might be the least intrusive change
>    for emacs-27.

This part is now done on the emacs-27 branch.  Please test it and see
that it now works as before.

> 2. When we run a refresh, save the current time.  If the user tries to
>    run another refresh, check if more than X seconds has elapsed since
>    the old one was started.  If it has been more than X seconds,
>    prompt the user to kill the old refresh and re-launch it.  It won't
>    be perfect, but it will be better than what we had before at least.

I'm working on a fix for the master branch as outlined above.

Note that we probably also have to change the condition for the menu
entry, see Bug#39436.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas