Subject: bug#39181: 27.0.50; [PATCH] Allow users to store & restore gdb-mi layout

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 09:22:23 +0100

> That certainly sounds better, thank you, although I'm still wondering if
 > the "layout" gdb-mi speaks of really corresponds exactly to the usual
 > window configuration (the object/data structure)? And if it does, it
 > still seems to me that it would be better to just use the Emacs term,
 > for the reasons I explained in my previous message, but as an only very
 > occasional GDB user I don't feel I should be pushing for such a change.

I would use the term "layout" for what is visible on screen and
"configuration" for the underlying data structure.

 >> I'd mention it in section 27.6.5.1 GDB User Interface Layout of the
 >> Emacs manual.
 >
 > FWIW, I found that section confusing for other reasons as well, e.g. it
 > seems to even mix "frame layout" and "window layout" in apparently the
 > same sense? I think fixing _that_ at least should be uncontroversial. :-)

Let alone the fact that "frame" in the context of GDB and Emacs has two
quite different meanings ...

martin