Subject: bug#39181: 27.0.50; [PATCH] Allow users to store & restore gdb-mi layout

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 10:26:53 +0100

On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 09:52:37 +0100
martin rudalics wrote:

>  > Hmmm, so what is the best approach here? Use layout in button names
>  > (in the menu bar) and configuration everywhere else?
>
> I think so.  Štěpán?

That certainly sounds better, thank you, although I'm still wondering if
the "layout" gdb-mi speaks of really corresponds exactly to the usual
window configuration (the object/data structure)? And if it does, it
still seems to me that it would be better to just use the Emacs term,
for the reasons I explained in my previous message, but as an only very
occasional GDB user I don't feel I should be pushing for such a change.

>  > And maybe mention
>  > the equivalence between layout and configuration in help echo?
>
> I'd mention it in section 27.6.5.1 GDB User Interface Layout of the
> Emacs manual.

FWIW, I found that section confusing for other reasons as well, e.g. it
seems to even mix "frame layout" and "window layout" in apparently the
same sense? I think fixing _that_ at least should be uncontroversial. :-)

-- 
Štěpán