Subject: bug#39181: 27.0.50; [PATCH] Allow users to store & restore gdb-mi layout

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 21:54:37 +0100

On Mon, 09 Mar 2020 16:17:59 -0400
Yuan Fu wrote:

>> On Mar 9, 2020, at 3:18 PM, Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> 
>> Other than the nit picks below, I have one question: is there any
>> difference between "window layout" and "window configuration" in this
>> context? You seem to be using both interchangeably, both in
>> documentation and the function/variable names. There seems to be some
>> prior usage of "layout" in gdb-mi, but the general Emacs term AFAIK is
>> "configuration". Wouldn't it make sense to unify the usage somewhat, at
>> least in the new code? Just an observation (I found it confusing.)
>> 
>
> No, not really, that’s my fault. Before I go in and change every word,
> which one do you think I should use: configuration or layout?
> Configuration is the conventional Emacs term but I felt that layout is
> easier to understand for a user. If you are find with both I guess I
> will change all to configuration.

If they mean the same thing, then I'd say "configuration" is definitely
the way to go.

It is true that some Emacs terms might be unfamiliar to new users, but
thanks to the excellent documentation capabilities it's very easy to
learn the respective definitions (e.g., in this case 'C-h r i
configuration' will display the relevant manual entries). It is
important to stay consistent.

-- 
Štěpán