Subject: Re: bug#39170: 27.0.60; tramp: async-shell-command asks me for password each time

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 09:30:35 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Tino,

> I'm very sorry, but this is a special case. Usually, we appreciate much
> to run the tests with "emacs -Q". However, it happens often that I have
> to debug Tramp problems which are related to cached properties, or
> passwords. That's why Tramp neither loads cached properties, nor uses
> auth-sources when Emacs is called with "-Q".

FTR, I have documented this in the Tramp manual. See appended patch,
pushed to the emacs-27 branch.

Best regards, Michael.

diff --git a/doc/misc/tramp.texi b/doc/misc/tramp.texi
index f81d996d73..49c32ac3f1 100644
--- a/doc/misc/tramp.texi
+++ b/doc/misc/tramp.texi
@@ -3799,7 +3799,11 @@ Bug Reports
 detours.

 To exclude cache-related problems, flush all caches before running the
-test, @ref{Cleanup remote connections}.
+test, @ref{Cleanup remote connections}.  Alternatively, and often
+better for analysis, reproduce the problem in a clean Emacs session
+started with @command{emacs -Q}.  Then, @value{tramp} does not load
+the persistency file (@pxref{Connection caching}), and it does not use
+passwords from @file{auth-source.el} (@pxref{Password handling}).

 When including @value{tramp}'s messages in the bug report, increase
 the verbosity level to 6 (@pxref{Traces and Profiles, Traces}) in the