Subject: 23.0.91; Building the latest Emacs on Mac OS 10.3

From: Alex Schröder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:42:24 +0200

I've been using an Emacs built in March for a while now. When I checked out
the latest Emacs from CVS and tried to build it, it failed. I've included
the output of the build process that seems to be the cause of the problem.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0, NS apple-appkit-743.43)
 of 2009-03-13 on Alpinobombus.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.743
configured using `configure  '--with-ns''

nsimage.m: In function `-[EmacsImage getPixelAtX:Y:]':
nsimage.m:433: warning: `NSBitmapImageRep' may not respond to `-colorAtX:y:'
nsimage.m:433: warning: cannot find method `-colorAtX:y:'; return type `id'
assumed
nsimage.m: In function `-[EmacsImage
setPixelAtX:Y:toRed:green:blue:alpha:]':
nsimage.m:464: warning: `NSBitmapImageRep' may not respond to
`-setColor:atX:y:'
nsimage.m:464: warning: cannot find method `-setColor:atX:y:'; return type
`id' assumed
nsimage.m: In function `-[EmacsImage setAlphaAtX:Y:to:]':
nsimage.m:481: warning: `NSBitmapImageRep' may not respond to `-colorAtX:y:'
nsimage.m:481: warning: cannot find method `-colorAtX:y:'; return type `id'
assumed
nsimage.m:483: warning: `NSBitmapImageRep' may not respond to
`-setColor:atX:y:'
nsimage.m:483: warning: cannot find method `-setColor:atX:y:'; return type
`id' assumed
gcc -c  -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I/Users/alex/Source/emacs/src
-Dtemacs    -g -O2   nsfont.m
nsfont.m: In function `ns_attribute_fvalue':
nsfont.m:121: error: `NSFontTraitsAttribute' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:121: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
nsfont.m:121: error: for each function it appears in.)
nsfont.m:121: warning: `NSFontDescriptor' may not respond to
`-objectForKey:'
nsfont.m: In function `ns_spec_to_descriptor':
nsfont.m:143: error: `NSFontWeightTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:147: error: `NSFontSlantTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:151: error: `NSFontWidthTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:153: error: `NSFontTraitsAttribute' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:157: warning: `NSFontDescriptor' may not respond to
`-fontDescriptorWithFamily:'
nsfont.m:157: warning: cannot find method `-fontDescriptorWithFamily:';
return type `id' assumed
nsfont.m: In function `ns_descriptor_to_entity':
nsfont.m:168: warning: `NSFontDescriptor' may not respond to
`-objectForKey:'
nsfont.m:170: warning: `NSFontDescriptor' may not respond to
`-symbolicTraits'
nsfont.m:170: warning: cannot find method `-symbolicTraits'; return type
`id' assumed
nsfont.m:170: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a
cast
nsfont.m:181: error: `NSFontBoldTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:186: error: `NSFontItalicTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:192: error: `NSFontCondensedTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:192: error: `NSFontExpandedTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:201: warning: `NSFontDescriptor' may not respond to
`-symbolicTraits'
nsfont.m:201: warning: cannot find method `-symbolicTraits'; return type
`id' assumed
nsfont.m:201: error: `NSFontMonoSpaceTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m: In function `ns_findfonts':
nsfont.m:476: warning: `NSFontDescriptor' may not respond to
`-matchingFontDescriptorsWithMandatoryKeys:'
nsfont.m:476: warning: cannot find method
`-matchingFontDescriptorsWithMandatoryKeys:'; return type `id' assumed
nsfont.m:484: warning: `NSFontDescriptor' may not respond to
`-objectForKey:'
nsfont.m:489: error: `NSFontSlantTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:494: warning: `NSFontDescriptor' may not respond to
`-objectForKey:'
nsfont.m:498: error: `NSFontItalicTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:498: warning: cannot find method
`-fontDescriptorWithSymbolicTraits:'; return type `id' assumed
nsfont.m:499: warning: cannot find method `-fontDescriptorWithFamily:';
return type `id' assumed
nsfont.m: In function `nsfont_open':
nsfont.m:667: error: `NSFontWeightTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m:669: error: `NSFontSlantTrait' undeclared (first use in this
function)
nsfont.m: In function `ns_uni_to_glyphs':
nsfont.m:1274: warning: multiple declarations for method `initWithCapacity:'
/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSArray.h:108:
warning: using `-(id)initWithCapacity:(unsigned)numItems'
nsterm.h:315: warning: also found `-initWithCapacity:(unsigned long)c'
make[1]: *** [nsfont.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/Users/alex/Source/emacs/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2
Alpinobombus:~/Source/emacs alex$