Subject: Re: bug#39169: 28.0.50; Confusing obsolete variable warnings in eieio-defclass-autoload

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 15:34:42 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> But now I'm wondering why Michael isn't just setting/binding
>> eieio-backward-compatibility to nil?  Then the warnings would go away,
>> and he probably aren't using the compat symbols, anyway?
>
> AFAIR, the situation is: I can do that file locally in my library, yes.
>
> But any user of the library will still see those warnings.  It's likely
> that this user uses the name "buffer-note" for a buffer-note, and the
> warning text is meaningless for anybody who doesn't know what's going
> on.

OK, but then I think the right thing here is just to punt further, to
that user of the library.  :-)  If they don't want warnings about these
obsolete compat variables, then they are the ones that should set
eieio-backward-compatibility to nil?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no