Subject: Re: bug#39164: 27.0.60; Intermittent crash on MacOS 10.14 in setup_process_coding_systems

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 19:26:23 +0900

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 02:37:10 +0900,
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > The increase happens only once per function in question.  So we make a
> > dummy call in advance so later calls may not cause the increase in
> > unpredicable timings.
> 
> Can these dummy calls be made just before we call setrlimit in
> init_process_emacs, as opposed to in a macOS-specific source file?

The functions in question are used together with Mac-specific GUI
event handing.  I placed the dummy calls inside macOS-specific code so
the -nw case may not change the behavior from the original one.

> Also, could there be Core Foundation functions other than those you
> propose to call, that have the same effect?  IOW, how can we be sure
> we issued a dummy call for every such function that matters to Emacs?

That's why I called it as "workaround" and "not a perfect solution".
Nevertheless it is well-suited for my case, i.e., the Mac port made on
top of established Emacs 26.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]