Subject: bug#39154: 27.0.60; Use character history in zap-up-to-char

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 13:28:37 +0200

Tino Calancha <[email-masked]> writes:

> We have discussed two topics in this report, thus I am proposing the
> following two commits:
>
> I) Adjust interactive specificaion for `zap-up-to-char':
>
> commit fe77bb9c2793fd7856c514f41e7a2ce4ccbc4f18
> Author: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
> Date:   Thu Jan 23 14:42:29 2020 +0100
>
>     Use character history in zap-up-to-char

I've now applied this patch to Emacs 28; it seems "obviously correct" to
do the same as zap-to-char here.

> II) Add new command `isearch-yank-to-char'.
>   - It is desirable to add a keybinding for it as well.  Tentatively, I
>   have used C-M-p in this patch; please, suggest me the one that fit better.

There was pushback here on both the key binding and the utility of the
command.  I have no opinion on the latter; all those keybindings in
isearch are kinda obscure to me, but they have lots of fans, I've
noticed.

So I'm closing this bug report; if this is something that should be
explored further, opening a new bug report for this would be welcome.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no