Subject: Re: [bug#39146] [PATCH v2] gnu: icecat: Remove compiler paths from about:buildconfig

From: Jakub Kądziołka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 19:38:31 +0100

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 09:53:48PM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> I like the approach of Tobias' proposed patch, but to avoid losing
> information (most of the hash), how about changing:
> 
>   (string-append store (string-take hash 8) "…")
> 
> to something like:
> 
>   (string-append store (string-take hash 2) "." (string-drop hash 2))
> 
> What do you think?  Anyway, I don't feel strongly about it, and I
> acknowledge that neither approach is perfect.
I feel like the unicode character "…" makes it much more clear that the
path has been modified, but it's a moot point considering that if
someone might get confused by this, they probably won't be able to make
use of the hash.

However, now that I come back to this after some time, I realize that
there is another solution:

    (string-append store (string-take hash 8) "<span></span>"
                         (string-drop hash 8))

This would neuter the reference without having any user-visible impact on
about:buildconfig. What do you think?

Kind regards,
Jakub Kądziołka