Subject: [bug#39142] Update USB_ModeSwitch.

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 11:11:29 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 12:02:46 +0000
Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > In general, I suggest to also list license changes.  Whether we like it or
> > not, in practice those happen and it's important to know (especially to know
> > when they stay the same).  
> 
> So, the Guix Data Service does know what licenses are associated with a
> package. I guess it could list packages where that's changed on the main
> comparison page, is that what you're referring to?

Yes, on that ".../compare" page, just like "Version changes" there could be
an always-visible section "License changes".

> In my mind at least, the primary issue when reviewing packages is making
> sure the license list for the package corresponds with the actual
> licenses that apply to the contents. That's a little harder, as you'd
> have to download the source tarball, and run licensecheck or something
> similar, but hopefully that can be automated at some point!

I'm not sure that that could ever be reliably automated (after all, the source
code can say whatever license text in the comments--we can't have an
exhaustive list).

In general it would already be much help to automate basically

  grep -ri 'gnu general' $(grep -ril license .)

just in order to reduce the workload.  But I think we already package third
party license checkers for that, no need to do that for Guix Data Service.