Subject: Re: bug#39137: 26.3; ispell-really-hunspell sometimes fails in init

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 18:13:29 -0400

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
   Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 08:27:00 +0100

   Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

   > Can you step through the ispell.el's initialization code, and explain
   > how come ispell-dictionary-alist ends up being uninitialized by the
   > time ispell-start-process is called for spell-checking?  This
   > shouldn't happen.

   More information was requested, but no response was given within a
   year, so I'm closing this bug report.  If the problem still exists,
   please respond to this email and we'll reopen the bug report.

My apologies for being so lazy, but I finally got around to checking
this out.  I went to reproduce the problem and found that the current
Emacs 27.2-rc2 on the affected system now produces the following error
message:

	ispell-find-hunspell-dictionaries: Can t find Hunspell dictionary with a .aff affix file

So it was a Hunspell configuration issue (further investigation found
the missing RPM), and not an Emacs problem.  And I'm glad to see that
the Hunspell initialization now reports this intelligibly.

					-- Bob