Subject: bug#39132: closed (Re: bug#39132: 28.0.50; dot-emacs init-file not loaded)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 10:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#39132: 28.0.50; dot-emacs init-file not loaded

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39132: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39132
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#39132: 28.0.50; dot-emacs init-file not loaded
From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
To: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:25:12 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>>>>> On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:22:52 +0100, Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> said:

    Andreas> On 16.01.20 10:44, Robert Pluim wrote:
    >>>>>>> On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 09:15:27 +0100, Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> said:
    Andreas> Was afraid my diagnose might be wrong. If something in .emacs prevents
    Andreas> further loading, how can I be sure it was accessed at all?
    >> 
    >> By running 'strace emacs' and looking for calls that access .emacs
    >> 
    >> Robert

    Andreas> Okay, got it: Turns out being a typo in my bash-alias. There was a
    Andreas> "-q" where it shouldn't be.

    Andreas> Thanks and sorry for the noise.

No worries. Closing the bug.

Robert

Subject: 28.0.50; dot-emacs init-file not loaded
From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:04:38 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs seems not to know "~/.emacs" file anymore. echo $XDG_CONFIG_HOME 
reports it empty.

While reading in NEWS

Emacs will still look for init files in their traditional locations if
"$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/emacs" does not exist, but "~/.emacs.d" or
"~/.emacs" does exist, so invoking Emacs with XDG_CONFIG_HOME='/nowhere'
might be useful if your new-location init files are scrambled, or if
you want to force Emacs to ignore files under 'XDG_CONFIG_HOME' for
some other reason.

When evaluating "~/.emacs" by hand all went fine.

Thanks,
Andreas

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
  of 2020-01-10 built on sprache
Repository revision: 17cfd708575c351d030f8b05c5921d1867028d79
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
user-error: End of history; no default available [2 times]

Configured using:
  'configure --with-modules --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM
MODULES THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 135605 9694)
  (symbols 24 28125 1)
  (strings 16 59528 2464)
  (string-bytes 1 918700)
  (vectors 8 10137)
  (vector-slots 4 138251 14348)
  (floats 8 22 38)
  (intervals 28 224 15)
  (buffers 568 12)
  (heap 1024 11827 834))