Subject: bug#39132: 28.0.50; dot-emacs init-file not loaded

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:04:38 +0100

Emacs seems not to know "~/.emacs" file anymore. echo $XDG_CONFIG_HOME 
reports it empty.

While reading in NEWS

Emacs will still look for init files in their traditional locations if
"$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/emacs" does not exist, but "~/.emacs.d" or
"~/.emacs" does exist, so invoking Emacs with XDG_CONFIG_HOME='/nowhere'
might be useful if your new-location init files are scrambled, or if
you want to force Emacs to ignore files under 'XDG_CONFIG_HOME' for
some other reason.

When evaluating "~/.emacs" by hand all went fine.

Thanks,
Andreas

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
  of 2020-01-10 built on sprache
Repository revision: 17cfd708575c351d030f8b05c5921d1867028d79
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
user-error: End of history; no default available [2 times]

Configured using:
  'configure --with-modules --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM
MODULES THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 135605 9694)
  (symbols 24 28125 1)
  (strings 16 59528 2464)
  (string-bytes 1 918700)
  (vectors 8 10137)
  (vector-slots 4 138251 14348)
  (floats 8 22 38)
  (intervals 28 224 15)
  (buffers 568 12)
  (heap 1024 11827 834))