Subject: bug#39130: Speed up C Foreign Function Interface

From: Roel Janssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 14:23:34 +0100

Dear Amirouche,

The Github links don't seem to work (for me).

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

On Tue, 2020-01-14 at 12:15 +0000, Amirouche wrote:
> I benchmarked Chez Scheme vs. Guile. Guile is 3 to 5 times slower
> than Chez.  I attribute that mostly to C Foreign Function Interface.
> 
> The application will parse a text file (n-turtle format) and store
> in an embedded database (wiredtiger).  Most the CPU time should be
> spent during parsing [0], then packing scheme objects into
> bytevectors [1] and at last C FFI.
> 
> [0] 
> 
https://github.com/amirouche/nomunofu/blob/master/nomunofu/index.scm#L13
> [1] 
https://github.com/amirouche/nomunofu/blob/master/nomunofu/okvs/pack.scm#L208
> 
> The chez code is in wip-chez branch.
> 
> The Guile FFI code of that particular application can be improved.
> 
> Still, I read on IRC that there is some interests to improve C FFI,
> that is why I fill this issue to be able to keep track of it.
> 
> One step forward, would be to have C FFI benchmarks that are easy
> to run with Chez, Guile, and Gambit.
> 
> Anyone up for the task?
> 
> 
> 
>