Subject: Re: bug#39111: 27.0.60; Tramp offers to save password in ~/.authinfo instead of ~/.authinfo.gpg

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 10:19:00 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Is something making read-char-choice bug out, but in a way that's caught
>> by Tramp (or something else), so we just continue?  debug-on-signal
>> doesn't help, either.
>
> Could be an error or a throw?

`debug-on-signal' set to t doesn't reveal anything, so it must be a
throw, I think?

It has something to do with the new way that `read-char-choice' uses the
minibuffer.

If I set `read-char-choice-use-read-key' to t, then I get:

So we have the prompt for find-file, and then at the same time, we have
the prompt for whether to save the password.

It also works when

(setq enable-recursive-minibuffers t)

So...  should `read-char-choice' bind `enable-recursive-minibuffers' if
`read-char-choice-use-read-key' is nil?  Because by default, these
scenarios don't work now.  (That is, using `read-char-choice' from a
command that has the minibuffer open.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no