Subject: 27.0.60; Tramp offers to save password in ~/.authinfo instead of ~/.authinfo.gpg

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 09:45:42 +0000

When I open a remote ssh file and connect to the server for the first
time, Tramp offers to save the password in ~/.authinfo even if the file
~/.authinfo.gpg exists and is already loaded (by some other package like
Gnus).

Response from Michael Albinus on the subject:
> The default value of auth-sources is '("~/.authinfo" "~/.authinfo.gpg"
> "~/.netrc")

> I suppose that auth-source checks one file after the other whether it
> exist, when searching for a password. But when it wants to save the
> password, it seems to take the first entry in auth-sources, instead of
> checking, whether one of the files exist (and use this one).

> In your case, I recommend to change the value of auth-sources to just
> '("~/.authinfo.gpg")

> However, this seems to be a bug in auth-source.el.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.60 (build 9, x86_64-apple-darwin19.2.0, NS
appkit-1894.20 Version 10.15.2 (Build 19C57))
 of 2020-01-13 built on Pankajs-MacBook-Pro.local Repository revision:
d47b157969356f15e038dbbfa4da7769f6f98583 Repository branch: emacs-27
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894 System
Description: Mac OS X 10.15.2

Recent messages: No more unseen articles No more unread articles Mark
set [2 times] Sending...  Sending via mail...  Saving file
/Users/pankaj/Mail/archive/sent/2020-01...  Wrote
/Users/pankaj/Mail/archive/sent/2020-01 Sending...done C-h C-g is
undefined Mark set

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-g -O0' CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/ruby/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/opt/ruby/lib'

Configured features: RSVG DBUS GLIB NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8 value of $LANG: en_US locale-coding-system:
  utf-8-unix

Major mode: Article

Minor modes in effect:
  electric-pair-mode: t direnv-mode: t show-paren-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t global-hl-line-mode: t projectile-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t shell-dirtrack-mode: t recentf-mode: t tooltip-mode:
  t global-eldoc-mode: t electric-indent-mode: t mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t menu-bar-mode: t file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t font-lock-mode: t blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t buffer-read-only: t line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows: None found.

Features: (shadow emacsbug org-bullets org-element avl-tree ol-eww
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus ol-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m help-fns radix-tree
cl-print debug backtrace gnus-uu yenc flow-fill bbdb-message sendmail
flyspell ispell nnir shr-color vc-git diff-mode sort gnus-cite smiley
mm-archive mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table
gnus-topic cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnfolder bbdb-gnus epa-file
gnutls network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
nntp gnus-cache gnus-alias gnus-sum url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history mailcap shr url-cookie url-domsuf url-util svg
xml dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums text-property-search mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr cl-extra
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator
xref project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang
company-semantic company-eclim company-template company-bbdb company
pcase display-line-numbers yasnippet help-mode elec-pair hideshow direnv
dash sanityinc-tomorrow-bright-theme color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow
color paren which-key init server init-prog flymake-proc flymake
warnings init-edit init-keys init-looks delight hl-line init-env
exec-path-from-shell init-melpa init-tools projectile grep compile
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-python
org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table
ol org-keys org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site
timezone icomplete edmacro kmacro erc-auth erc-join erc-goodies erc
erc-backend erc-compat thingatpt pp erc-loaddefs tramp-cache tramp-sh
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date
ls-lisp format-spec recentf tree-widget wid-edit rx info package
easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
early-init tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information: ((conses 16 565161 40839)
 (symbols 48 35378 2) (strings 32 116486 10645) (string-bytes 1 4103395)
 (vectors 16 57864) (vector-slots 8 942243 48072) (floats 8 569 547)
 (intervals 56 4122 347) (buffers 1000 102))

-- 
Pankaj Jangid