Subject: bug#39111: 27.0.60; Tramp offers to save password in ~/.authinfo instead of ~/.authinfo.gpg

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 11:51:22 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Yes, this is intended. When instructing users to hunt Tramp bugs, wrong
>> passwords have been in the way, several times. That's why the call to
>> auth-source-search is disabled when calling "emacs -Q". This is
>> documented in the Tramp manual, node "(tramp) Bug Reports".
>
> Ah, I see.
>
> Perhaps this should also be mentioned in, for instance, the "Startup
> Summary" node in the lispref manual?

This is a special config for Tramp only, there's no need to have it in
the lispref manual. I had to explain it two or three times the last 20
years. And now we have the comment in tramp.el, so it shall be obvious
what to do.

Best regards, Michael.