Subject: Re: bug#39111: 27.0.60; Tramp offers to save password in ~/.authinfo instead of ~/.authinfo.gpg

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 09:50:01 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yes, this is intended. When instructing users to hunt Tramp bugs, wrong
> passwords have been in the way, several times. That's why the call to
> auth-source-search is disabled when calling "emacs -Q". This is
> documented in the Tramp manual, node "(tramp) Bug Reports".

Ah, I see.

Perhaps this should also be mentioned in, for instance, the "Startup
Summary" node in the lispref manual?

> If you want to debug tramp-read-passwd calling auth-source-search, you
> can do the trick by
>
> # emacs -Q --eval '(setq tramp-cache-read-persistent-data t)'
>
> It's a dirty trick to be applied only for this use case. I've added a
> comment to tramp-read-passwd explaining this, pushed to master.

Thanks; then everything here seems to be working as intended -- at least
in my tests.  Pankaj -- were you testing with "-Q"?  As far as I can
tell, Emacs is prompting and saving passwords properly with Emacs 28.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no