Subject: 26.3; xclip.el 1.9 doesnt copy&paste under Wayland

From: apiraino <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 17:50:42 +0000

user-error: Beginning of history; no preceding item [2 times]
completing-read-default: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer [3 times]
completing-read-default: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
user-error: End of history; no default available

Features:
 I'm using xclip.el version 1.9 (installed from ELPA) and I was fine with X11. I've recently switched to Sway (a window manager for Wayland) and xclip.el should support copy and paste out of the box, after configuring it to use wl-clipbaord.

 However I can't paste text snippets out of Emacs, I think because I can't set primary mode for wl-copy and wl-paste. Any suggestion on how to configure or fix xclip.el to do that?

 Here's what I do

 - Open a file into a buffer
 - Select a region and copy it with "M w" to copy it
 - Try to paste in another application that runs under Wayland of Xwayland (such as Firefox)

 From the cli, everything's fine:

 $ wl-copy -p heyhey
 $ wl-paste -p
 heyhey

 Also, inside Emacs copy&paste works fine.

 This is my current xclip.el config

 Hide Xclip Method: [Value Menu] Wayland: wl-copy
   [ State ]: SAVED and set.

 Hide Xclip Mode: [Toggle]  on (non-nil)
   [ State ]: CHANGED outside Customize.

 Hide Xclip Program: wl-copy
   [ State ]: STANDARD.

 Hide Xclip Select Enable Clipboard: [Toggle]  on (non-nil)
   [ State ]: STANDARD.

 In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2019-09-23, modified by Debian built on lgw01-amd64-032
 System Description:	Ubuntu 19.10

 Recent messages:
 For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
 Making completion list...
 Making completion list...
 Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=no
 --without-gsettings 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-wvqver/emacs-26.3+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

 Configured features:
 JPEG SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB XIM
 THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

 Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

 Major mode: Lisp Interaction

 Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

 Load-path shadows:
 None found.

 (shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
 bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
 format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
 epg-config gnus-util rmail tool-bar rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies
 mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
 regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
 term/xterm xterm time-date elec-pair mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
 uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type tabulated-list replace
 newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
 menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select mouse jit-lock font-lock
 syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
 utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
 japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
 ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
 case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
 cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
 text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
 custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
 inotify lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

 Memory information:
 ((conses 16 95566 6808)
 (symbols 48 19452 1)
 (miscs 40 41 96)
 (strings 32 27841 958)
 (string-bytes 1 740354)
 (vectors 16 11870)
 (vector-slots 8 448930 6250)
 (floats 8 49 569)
 (intervals 56 301 13)
 (buffers 992 12))
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 18:46:21 +0100
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>