Subject: Re: [bug#39102] [PATCH 2/2 staging] gnu: qtbase: Open links properly without xdg-utils in profile

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 20:44:43 +0100

Jakub Kądziołka <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/packages/patches/qtbase-use-xdg-open-in-store.patch: New file.
> * gnu/packages/qt.scm (qtbase)[source][patches]: Apply the patch.
>   [inputs]: Add a dependency on xdg-utils to get its store path.
>   [arguments]: Add a new phase to patch the path into the source code.

This patch does a lot.  :-)

With this patch, BROWSER and DEFAULT_BROWSER would no longer be
consulted, right?

Does checkExecutable work with absolute file names?  I.e. could we get
away by simply patching "xdg-open" with its store file name?  Probably
should change the default browsers while at it, though.  :-)

Wrt the easy substitution, I think we should try and avoid introducing
changes to source code that depend on magic from #:phases.  That way
people will still be (mostly) able to build Qt manually using the Guix
source.  In this case, maybe defaulting to just "xdg-open" is enough?

In short, I'm looking for an easier way to achieve the same goal,
without the rather intrusive patch.

Copying Efraim as our resident Qt expert.