Subject: bug#39097: 12.2.0; Preview gets lost and doesn't find the LaTeX source file

From: Giacomo Boffi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 16:01:22 +0000

Dear Keita,
it's even simpler...

I was using an instance of Emacs that started some time ago,
when 12.1.x was still the best on Earth, and I updated
all my packages w/o restarting Emacs (blushing emoticon).

Since I restarted Emacs (I rebooted with a new kernel, that is)
everything is fine again w/o fiddling with directories or
configuration.

Lesson learned, sorry for the noise on the mailing list, thank you.
.g.
________________________________
From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2020 15:46
To: Giacomo Boffi <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: bug#39097: 12.2.0; Preview gets lost and doesn't find the LaTeX source file

Hi Giacomo,

>>>>> boffi <[email-masked]> writes:
> in my .emacs I have

> (setq package-archives
>       '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>         ("melpa-stable" . "https://stable.melpa.org/packages/")
>         ("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")))

> and in the package listing the latest auctex that I have listed is
> 12.2.0 ― obviously I'm missing something...

I suspect that you have two instances of AUCTeX installation.  In your
previous message, I read
----------------------------------------------------------------------
current state:
==============
[...]
 TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex" "/home/boffi/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.2/style" "/home/boffi/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
                  "/home/boffi/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
----------------------------------------------------------------------
which looks like that you have AUCTeX 12.1, while the "Subject" header
begins with "...12.2.0" which suggests that you have 12.2.

> In the hypotesis that I won't install the release tarball, what should I
> do to install the latest auctex?

Look into ~/.emacs.d/elpa/ and see what directories are there.  If you
have both auctex-12.1.2 and auctex-12.2.0, delete the former.  And if
you have customized `TeX-style-path', erase (or modify) the
customization so that you can load from AUCTeX 12.2.  Then restart
emacs.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita