Subject: Re: bug#39082: Inconsolata v3.000 has too wide spacing

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 10:52:17 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 19:26:41 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:

    >> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
    >> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
    >> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 18:03:37 +0100
    >> 
    >> ** Under X, some characters are unexpectedly wide.
    >> 
    >> e.g. recent versions of Inconsolata show this issue for almost all of
    >> its characters.  Due to either a limitation in the Xft interface used
    >> by Emacs, or an Xft bug, the determination of the width of some
    >> characters is incorrect.  Emacs built with Cairo enabled ("configure
    >> --with-cairo") and the appropriate cairo development packages
    >> installed does not have this issue.  See
    >> <https://github.com/googlefonts/Inconsolata/issues/42> and
    >> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2020-01/msg00456.html>
    >> for more discussion.

    Eli> OK, but please inject something like "a workaround is to ..." into
    Eli> this text.  Like "A workaround is to build Emacs with Cairo enabled,
    Eli> as this configuration doesn't have such problems."

OK. Pushed to emacs-27, closing the bug.