Subject: bug#39082: closed (Re: bug#39082: Inconsolata v3.000 has too wide spacing)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 09:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#39082: Inconsolata v3.000 has too wide spacing

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39082: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39082
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#39082: Inconsolata v3.000 has too wide spacing
From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 10:52:17 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>>>>> On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 19:26:41 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:

    >> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
    >> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
    >> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 18:03:37 +0100
    >> 
    >> ** Under X, some characters are unexpectedly wide.
    >> 
    >> e.g. recent versions of Inconsolata show this issue for almost all of
    >> its characters.  Due to either a limitation in the Xft interface used
    >> by Emacs, or an Xft bug, the determination of the width of some
    >> characters is incorrect.  Emacs built with Cairo enabled ("configure
    >> --with-cairo") and the appropriate cairo development packages
    >> installed does not have this issue.  See
    >> <https://github.com/googlefonts/Inconsolata/issues/42> and
    >> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2020-01/msg00456.html>
    >> for more discussion.

    Eli> OK, but please inject something like "a workaround is to ..." into
    Eli> this text.  Like "A workaround is to build Emacs with Cairo enabled,
    Eli> as this configuration doesn't have such problems."

OK. Pushed to emacs-27, closing the bug.

Subject: Inconsolata v3.000 has too wide spacing
From: Andrea Greselin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 11:03:39 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, after upgrading to Inconsolata v3.000 letter-spacing for that
typeface
has become too wide, as shown in the attached screenshot. It shows the Emacs
frame I get on running `emacs -Q`.

Note that the font works correctly in other applications such as Gedit and
LibreOffice.

For reference, here are the reports I've made at Red Hat's Bugzilla and
Inconsolata's GitHub page for the same bug:
 - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1786054
 - https://github.com/googlefonts/Inconsolata/issues/42

According to reports at Inconsolata's GitHub page this happens in Emacs
versions
26.2, 26.3 and 27.0.50.

Best regards,
Andrea

System info (from `report-emacs-bug`):
In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.13)
 of 2019-12-10 built on buildhw-07.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.12006000
System Description: Fedora release 31 (Thirty One)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fexceptions
 -fstack-protector-strong -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 95564 5838)
 (symbols 48 20421 1)
 (miscs 40 113 104)
 (strings 32 28619 1327)
 (string-bytes 1 758954)
 (vectors 16 14042)
 (vector-slots 8 503588 7662)
 (floats 8 49 68)
 (intervals 56 288 0)
 (buffers 992 12))