Subject: bug#39079: SBCL CFFI from Guix unable to find dynamic libraries

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 17:17:58 +0100

Hi,

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> That cannot work: this libcurl.so is linked against a different libc
>> (among other things) than the ‘sbcl’ program from Guix, so trying to
>> load it in a running Guix ‘sbcl’ is bound to fail.
>
> Are you sure?  I've done this many time before and it worked.

It might work to some extent if you’re lucky, but as a rule of thumb,
you should assume that it won’t.

>> What would work instead is loading Guix’ libcurl.so.  I suppose you
>> could do that by removing /usr/lib from ‘*foreign-library-directories*’.
>
> I think there is a misunderstanding :)
> The original question was specifically about loading a .so from the
> foreign distribution, so this would do it :p

My bad!  Well I guess my answer is: don’t even try that.  :-)

Ludo’.