Subject: Re: bug#39079: SBCL CFFI from Guix unable to find dynamic libraries

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 06:52:06 +0100

Hi Pierre and Evan,

> This seems to be a red herring, as Guix does not change how CFFI loa > libraries.  The only thing that changes is where the libraries are 
found> with Guix packages.
I don't know about the details of SBCL and its CFFI, but there is a 
difference in how Guix handles shared libraries that I discovered 
recently and which might be related.

Programs compiled under Guix don't use the search path feature for 
shared libraries (via Guix' own copy of ldd.so). All references to 
shared libraries use the full path to the store. So if you compile sbcl 
under Guix, it will never look for libraries that are referenced by name 
only (without the full path). The foreign distro probably relies on that 
lookup, as most Linux distros do.

Note that this is a feature, not a bug, so if that's the cause of the 
problem, there is nothing to do about it. You'd have to compile sbcl 
with the toolchain of the foreign distro.

Cheers,
   Konrad.