Subject: bug#39076: Acknowledgement (26.3; rmail-summary-mark-deleted error with no arguments (or nil))

From: "Edward J. Sabol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 17:13:25 -0500 (EST)

> However, this is really a symptom of another issue I'm seeing. Immediately
> after I hit "g" to get new mail in some rmail-summary buffer,
> rmail-current-message is sometimes nil until I move to another message, but I
> haven't tracked down yet why that's happening and I haven't been able to
> reproduce it with `emacs -Q'....

Ah ha! I was able to fix this quasi-related issue with rmail-current-message
sometimes being nil right after calling `rmail-summary-get-new'-mail by
changing:

	       (with-current-buffer rmail-buffer
		 (rmail-get-new-mail file-name)
		 ;; Get the proper new message number.
		 (setq msg rmail-current-message))

to:

	       (with-current-buffer rmail-buffer
		 (rmail-get-new-mail file-name)
		 ;; Get the proper new message number.
		 (rmail-maybe-set-message-counters)
		 (setq msg rmail-current-message))

in `rmail-summary-get-new-mail'. Adding "(rmail-maybe-set-message-counters)"
there seems to have fixed the issue I was seeing. Not sure why this is needed
though since `rmail-get-new-mail' already calls
`rmail-maybe-set-message-counters', although it does so near the beginning of
that function.

I hope this makes sense and is useful information.

Regards,
Ed