Subject: bug#39057: closed (Re: bug#39057: 27.0.60; copy-file interactive VS from lisp disagreement)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 15:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#39057: 27.0.60; copy-file interactive VS from lisp disagreement

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
39057: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39057
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#39057: 27.0.60; copy-file interactive VS from lisp disagreement
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 10:20:32 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> LGTM, please install on the emacs-27 branch, and thanks.

OK, done,

        Stefan

Subject: 27.0.60; copy-file interactive VS from lisp disagreement
From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 22:03:19 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Observed a disagreement when calling `copy-file' interactively VS calling
it from Lisp.

This is a recipe:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
emacs -Q:
$ touch /tmp/foo
M-x copy-file RET /tmp/foo RET ~/ RET
;; Received prompt:
;; File /home/calancha already exists; copy to it anyway? (y or n) 

;; In the other hand, the following works, i.e., it creates ~/foo
M-: (copy-file "/tmp/foo" "~/")
=> nil
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Reproduced w/ Emacs 26-27; with Emacs 25, the interactive call
creates ~/foo as expected.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

In GNU Emacs 27.0.60 (build 30, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2020-01-09 built on calancha-pc.dy.bbexcite.jp
Repository revision: 58412402959d8f88e230f95c5fc7de072e115140
Repository branch: emacs-27
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
funcall-interactively: File already exists: /home/calancha
nil
Mark set

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date subr-x seq mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils dired dired-loaddefs term/xterm xterm byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 53485 9324)
 (symbols 48 6097 1)
 (strings 32 15475 1668)
 (string-bytes 1 503791)
 (vectors 16 7253)
 (vector-slots 8 77927 8490)
 (floats 8 22 306)
 (intervals 56 2921 0)
 (buffers 1000 12))