Subject: [bug#39053] [PATCH] Add pulseaudio configuration and fix volume bugs

From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 19:37:54 +0100

Am Samstag, den 11.01.2020, 18:23 +0100 schrieb Marius Bakke:
> Leo Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > This series of patches adds a configuration type for pulseaudio and
> > also fixes
> > a bug, where various applications would inadvertently max out the
> > system volume
> > (see e.g. #38172).
> 
> Thanks!  I've pushed the patches with mentioned tweaks in
> 2c7511fb6..71e33e32f.
Thanks!  Also, I'm sorry about accidentally opening like 10 bugs due to
my misconfiguration there.  I only noticed after the fact, that merely
CC'ing the original bug does nothing, when the mail is still sent to
guix-patches as well.  I've learned my lesson and will be more careful
in the future.

I do still have some open questions, though.
> > +In addition to the above, @code{default-script-file} will be set to
> > the
> > +value of @code{script-file}.  By default, @var{flat-volumes} is
> > set
> > to
> > +``no'', so as to avoid bugs related to this feature.
> > 
> The first sentence of this paragraph is obsolete, no?  The second is
> rather vague, so I opted to remove the whole thing.  Let me know if
> you
> think something should be added!
I'm not quite sure about the first sentence.  While everyone can read
the code and the output files produced from it, I think we should
document, that we actually always insert this line into
@file{daemon.conf}.
For instance, if you don't supply your own @file{default.pa}, the first
line of @file{daemon.conf} will be
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
default-script-file = /gnu/store/<hash>-pulseaudio-
<version>/etc/pulse/default.pa
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
What are your thoughts on this?

> I added a (default: ...) on these two and removed the related
> sentences.
I was hesitant to do that due to the line limits.  Do those not count
for documentation or are such exceptions allowed?

Thanks again for your help and also thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
Leo