Subject: Re: bug#39023: binary installation manual doesn't work on Alpine Linux

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 16:56:33 +0100

Hi,

I am a bit confused. At the end, what is the fix?

>From my knowledge, 'useradd/groupadd ' are the standard commands. The
other ones, not.

Personally, I am in favour of the option a/ that is described here
[1]: write in the manual in a footnote it should be adapted for the
underlining distro, i.e., mention 'adduser/addgroup'.
Tobias mentioned [2] an option /d: provide in addition of the existing
one a complete example using 'adduser/addgroup'.
But then Tobias sent this message [3] explaining that BusyBox is doing
wrong. ;-) Which IMHO leads to the option a/. :-)

What is the consensus for the bug?

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39023#11
[2] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39023#17
[3] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=39023#26

All the best,
simon