Subject: bug#39023: binary installation manual doesn't work on Alpine Linux

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 20:58:26 +0100

Gábor,

Gábor Boskovits 写道：
> Oops, I missed that.

I'm suprised I haven't confused add* & *add once so far in this 
thread :-)

> There was some upstream discussion to get useradd and groupadd 
> to
> busybox upstream,
> as this seems to be causing problems everywhere. They told that 
> they
> are unwilling to include them as is,
> but would accept a wrapper thar forward to their 
> adduser/addgroup
> implementation.

I don't know which discussion you're referring to, and much might 
have changed since 2016, but I read this[0] to mean the opposite: 
Busybox should provide the shadow-compatible *add variants, and 
reimplement their old add* as simple wrappers around that.  That's 
from an upstream(ish) person.

  “adduser/addgroup tend to be symlinks or wrappers, if they exist 
  at
   all, but by and large are deprecated.  busybox should implement
   applets that mimic shadow here and deprecate the old ones, if 
   not
   throw them out. although we can probably rename & massage the
   sources in these cases”

Still, Busybox *add patches welcome, it would seem.  We'll still 
have to deal with this for the lifetime of the older version.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: 
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2016-February/083909.html