Subject: Re: [bug#39021] [PATCH] Add Keybase

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 19:20:20 -0500

On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 09:00:39PM +0100, Jakub Kądziołka wrote:
> please find attached a set of patches that adds the non-GUI parts of
> Keybase (the GUI is an Electron application - as far as I am aware,
> there are no similar packages in Guix, so packaging the GUI requires a
> significant amount of further work).

I don't *think* we have any Electron packages, but we do have Chromium
(and qtwebengine) and Node.js, so I hope it's possible.

> Unresolved question: in other distributions, the package provides user
> units for systemd. Should the Guix package provide Shepherd services to
> be ran as the user? If so, are there any other examples I could look at
> and draw inspiration from? Also, I haven't been able to find any
> documentation on how to set up user shepherd, apart from a passing
> mention of that being possible in the documentation. I would appreciate
> any pointers on the topic.

We don't really do this kind of thing — adding features or service
manager files to upstream packages.

As for user shepherd, there's an example here:

https://git.dthompson.us/dotfiles.git/blob/HEAD:/dotfiles/.config/shepherd/init.scm

There's a lot going on there but the important parts are
(register-services ...), (make <service> ...), (action ...), and
(for-each start ...)

Then you just invoke `shepherd`.

> From 0d744787c48c7184a70dda9fc1bb2c0d334fc080 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: =?UTF-8?q?Jakub=20K=C4=85dzio=C5=82ka?= <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 17:13:20 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH 1/2] build-system/go: Allow providing additional build flags
> 
> * guix/build-system/go.scm (build-flags): New argument.
> * guix/build/go-build-system.scm (build): Use apply to pass the
>   additional arguments to invoke.

Nice, LGTM!

> From 3de233a2d8e6bdb4723844337b69b6612616c9c5 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: =?UTF-8?q?Jakub=20K=C4=85dzio=C5=82ka?= <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 20:29:21 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH 2/2] gnu: Add keybase.
> 
> * gnu/packages/crypto.scm
>   (keybase-component): New function.
>   (keybase, git-remote-keybase, kbfs): New variables.

This is enough of it's own thing that we can make a new (gnu packages
keybase) module.

> +(define* (keybase-component #:key name repo-path synopsis description)

We avoid abbreviations, so maybe "repository-path"? Bonus points if we
can make it more descriptive.

Can you take a look at the bundled ("vendored") dependencies:

https://github.com/keybase/client/tree/master/go/vendor

We strive to avoid using these, but sometimes we do, as in the Docker
package. It's not really idiomatic to unbundle things in Go. But we need
to at least make sure all the bundled dependencies are freely licensed.

Also, please run `guix lint` on these packages and make sure the
descriptions are written in complete sentences.