Subject: bug#38993: 26.3; EBDB saves the database on Emacs exit even when told not to

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:53:07 -0800

Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Em [2020-01-12 dom 09:38:20-0800], Eric Abrahamsen escreveu:
>
>> I still don't have a good solution for the first problem.  I guess
>> what I'm leaning toward is 1: adding a note to the
>> documentation/manual about this weirdness, and 2: defaulting
>> `ebdb-save-on-exit' to nil.  The average user will be using EBDB
>> interactively, meaning that they'll get the prompt both at "C-x s" and
>> when killing Emacs.  The `ebdb-save-on-exit' option could be reserved
>> for hackers who are using EBDB in some more peculiar fashion.
>
> I think that would be consistent with the rest of Emacs and even other
> desktop applications like LibreOffice.

Cool, that's done.

> But EBDB also has auto-save (as in Emacs 26.3 manual section 18.6 --
> "Auto-Saving: Protection Against Disasters"), right?

Yes, but personally I shut it off on my databases because the
eieio-persistent save routine is horribly slow, and I don't want my
Emacs locking up for several seconds when auto-saving is happening.

>> It looks to me like SourceHut is licensed under the GPL
>> (https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/git.sr.ht/tree/master/LICENSE), so I'm
>> hoping that's an A! Or at least a B.
>
> I lack knowledge of the situation and feel insecure myself in the choice
> of software forge, but still I would like give you the following URL:
> <https://sourcehut.org/alpha-details/>

Oh I know :) I don't put anything in there I don't have mirrored
elsewhere. But I do pay for my account, so the maintainer can get to
beta faster.

New release as soon as I've got the Org tags thing fixed...