Subject: bug#38993: 26.3; EBDB saves the database on Emacs exit even when told not to

From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 11:12:43 -0300

Em [2020-01-12 dom 09:38:20-0800], Eric Abrahamsen escreveu:

> I still don't have a good solution for the first problem.  I guess
> what I'm leaning toward is 1: adding a note to the
> documentation/manual about this weirdness, and 2: defaulting
> `ebdb-save-on-exit' to nil.  The average user will be using EBDB
> interactively, meaning that they'll get the prompt both at "C-x s" and
> when killing Emacs.  The `ebdb-save-on-exit' option could be reserved
> for hackers who are using EBDB in some more peculiar fashion.

I think that would be consistent with the rest of Emacs and even other
desktop applications like LibreOffice.  But EBDB also has auto-save (as
in Emacs 26.3 manual section 18.6 -- "Auto-Saving: Protection Against
Disasters"), right?

> It looks to me like SourceHut is licensed under the GPL
> (https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/git.sr.ht/tree/master/LICENSE), so I'm
> hoping that's an A! Or at least a B.

I lack knowledge of the situation and feel insecure myself in the choice
of software forge, but still I would like give you the following URL:
<https://sourcehut.org/alpha-details/>

> Thanks for that! No impertinence, I'll admit it's something I haven't
> read or really thought much about before. I'll be aware of it from here
> on out.

Nice!

Regards
-- 
- <https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/>
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.
- Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.
- Free/libre software for Replicant, LineageOS and Android: https://f-droid.org
- [[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html][What is free software?]]