Subject: Re: bug#38993: 26.3; EBDB saves the database on Emacs exit even when told not to

From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 18:15:42 -0300

Em [2020-01-08 qua 10:54:35-0800], Eric Abrahamsen escreveu:

> Okay, I guess that would work: always add a hook, but only actually do
> the save if `ebdb-save-on-exit' is t.  So if you have open *EBDB*
> buffers, and unsaved changes, but you set `ebdb-save-on-exit' to nil,
> then when you kill Emacs you'll still get prompted to save EBDB, but if
> you say "no" then nothing further will happen.

That would be a step in the right direction.  In addition to this you
could improve the weird (and arguably harmful) EBDB idiosyncrasies that
we previously talked about:

1. misleading the user by asking whether to save but then, if
   `ebdb-save-on-exit' is t, saving the database anyway even if the user
   answered in the negative; and
2. saving the "*EBDB*" buffer itself, which I believe is not useful.

And the `ebdb-save-on-exit' option could be renamed to
`ebdb-silently-save-on-exit', or, if that is too verbose, then at least
its documentation should emphasize that Emacs will save with no
questions asked.

> I have an account at SourceHut, which is very FOSS-friendly, but so
> far haven't put any repos there, maybe I could consider moving.

You might want to consult
<https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Fsf_2019_forge_evaluation>, as well as
discussing the options with the free software community on IRC or XMPP.
I myself have chosen GitLab to host my very simple static website.  I
based the decision on GitLab's features, ease of use, and the C ethics
grade from the FSF, a grade which seemed acceptable to me.  However I
later learned that, at least according to the aforementioned LibrePlanet
page, the GitLab ethics evaluation regressed.  I guess I should move
away from it.

By the way, if you forgive my impertinence, I suggest saying
"free/libre" rather than "FLOSS", or, even worse, "FOSS".  Please see
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/floss-and-foss.en.html>.

Regards
-- 
- <https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/>
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.
- Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.
- Free/libre software for Replicant, LineageOS and Android: https://f-droid.org
- [[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html][What is free software?]]